Monday, November 17, 2014

The great digital divide



Where I live, there is only one option for high speed internet. I think what I pay monthly for internet is very high. However, since there is no other option and no competition around, they can charge more, and I chose to pay it. I’m just happy that I at least have one option.

I live in a low income school district. I think the last statistic I saw was that 78% of our students get free lunch. Even though that is the case, our school is now trying to go paperless. So instead of sending home report cards, etc. – parents need to go online to see grades and teacher reports. It really got me thinking about how a lot of people in our district may not even be able to afford the internet, let alone a smart phone or computer. So if we want the parents to be more actively involved in their children’s educations – is going paperless such a good idea? 

I think that the Government’s National BroadBand plan is a good idea. According to the powerpoint – evidence suggests that some of the most significant resources that help people get out of financial dire straits are access to communication technology such as the Internet, cell phones, etc. Access to the internet allows people to complete on-line courses, job searches, submit resumes, and use LinkedIn. All things that can be used to find jobs, get education, and network – which can change someone’s financial situation.

I also think that the Government’s BroadBand plan is good because it aims at making broad band more affordable. One of the ways they plan on doing this is making sure there is robust competition in the area. Someone like me that only has the option of one provider, finds that very appealing. Also, someone can have access to broad band, but if they can’t afford to have it every month, it is not going to do them any good. 

One could argue that it is not the Government’s responsibility to make broad band available to people. However, I would disagree with that. According to the Government’s BroadBand plan – “broadband is a foundation for economic growth, job creation, global competitiveness and a better way of life. It is enabling entire new industries and unlocking vast new possibilities for existing ones. It is changing how we educate children, deliver health care, manage energy, ensure public safety, engage government, and access, organize and disseminate knowledge.”

No comments:

Post a Comment